Sunday, April 1, 2007

I have been reading about Google's Custom Search Engine. This evening added one to this blog. Right now the only URL that it searches is WinnowingCyberspace. I will add more URLs. I also added Google Marker to my browser toolbar. With Google Marker I can add the current site in the window to the custom engine.

I have been thinking about Custom search engines for three months or so. Every time I use Google's full search engine and get a bunch of irrelevant off topic stuff I think how nice a more focused engine would be. Currently my answer to the problem is to look for a pattern of irrelevancy and use minus with keywords to start to weed out unwanted returns.

A real weakness of a Custom Search Engine is that with a small number of URLs to search there is less chance of the serendipitous find.

No comments: